My skin isn’t thick enough to endure criticism trailblazers like Harris, Pelosi, Gandhi, Meir, and Thatcher have had to suffer; but I have been inspired to follow in their footsteps, in my own ways. As Harris told Marie Claire magazine, “I want [young] women to know, you are powerful and your voice matters." Amen, Sisters. Amen.
Election Day is here. Moderates, please consider:
- President Trump had to change the site of an unmasked, undistanced PA rally recently, to COMPLY WITH THE STATE’S COVID-19 PROTOCOLS. At the rally, a vindictive Trump said:
“I’ll remember it, Tom. ‘Hello, Mr. President, this is Governor Wolf, I need help.’ You know what? These people are bad.”
The not-so-subtle threat: The President of the United States will withhold federal aid, or other needed assistance, to ALL the people of PA – because their governor made him comply with state requirements protecting its citizens from Coronavirus.
- Trump, with no evidence, accused doctors of inflating the number of COVID deaths for financial gain: “Our doctors get more money if someone dies from COVID… So what they do is they say ‘I’m sorry but everybody dies of COVID’.”
The American Medical Association condemned that accusation as “malicious, outrageous, and completely misguided”.
This baseless allegation reminds Moderates of another baseless accusation, early in the pandemic, regarding personal protective equipment needed by medical workers. TMM reported in April:
Trump blasted medical angels’ pleas for necessary supplies to protect patients and themselves. He accused some of stealing (and reselling) precious masks. On March 29, he asserted: “Something’s going on. Where are the masks going? Are they going out the back door? I don’t think it’s hoarding; it’s worse than hoarding.”
Governor Andrew Cuomo (D-NY) demanded if Trump had evidence of that, he should produce it. None produced.
No evidence, either, of doctors’ inflating death counts to “get more money”. But that hasn’t stopped Trump from disrespecting our heroes (doctors and nurses) – who have been risking their own lives, and their loved ones’, to protect us.
- Speaking of tragic COVID deaths, that chip off the old block, Don, Jr. (rumored to be considering a future presidential run), said recently on Fox News that COVID deaths dropped to “almost nothing”.
That day, 90,000 Americans were newly infected – and nearly 1,000 died. More than 20,000 died during October. Junior also insulted medical experts as “total morons”; Daddy Donald previously called them “idiots” because they reported pandemic findings honestly.
Junior’s parroting of Donald’s political double-speak recalls Trump’s dishonesty regarding COVID – and almost everything else. Those 20,000 American lives lost in October (and another 1,000 per day now) apparently don’t mean much to the Trumps. They DO mean a lot to their loved ones.
- Some Trump voters say “I don’t like his ________ (fill in the blank: lying; vicious tweeting/retweeting; character flaws; attitude toward women and minorities). BUT he’s delivered on ________ (fill in the blank: the economy; jobs – before COVID; conservative judges), so I’ll overlook the rest.”
That’s like saying “the guy down the street is a child-molester – but he gives us good Christmas presents, so we overlook that.” Moderates believe character MATTERS, and cannot be dismissed.
Our President is the most powerful, influential person on earth, representing US to the rest of the world. Do we want somebody who is dishonest, lacking in principles and values, setting a terrible example for our children and grandchildren, in that role?
- Imagine, Moderates, when the pandemic first reached crisis level, if America had a UNITER as president – instead of a DIVIDER, pandering to his base’s worst anti-authority, anti-science instincts. A LEADER saying “We’re going to protect each other, we’re going to do our patriotic duty and wear masks, socially distance, and avoid crowds, until we get through this TOGETHER”.
Historically, Americans have sacrificed to overcome huge challenges – IF our leaders inspired us to do so.
Imagine how many lives could have been saved (estimates run as high as 100,000) – and how much angry division avoided?
Trump’s worshipers would follow him off a cliff. If he had told them to wear masks, they would have. Imagine where we’d be now, instead of where we are – with cases increasing in almost every state, as we head into winter (when people spend more time indoors) and flu season. With more bitter division than this Moderate has seen in his lifetime.
Moderates, do we want four more years of that? Or new leadership uniting us to overcome our challenges TOGETHER? Think carefully about that, and if you haven’t already – VOTE.
Your Vote Counts
U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial
Trump rally: The Epoch Times
Cuomo: ABC News
Trump and Don, Jr.: Business Insider
Masked medical professional
I Voted sticker